Certified Enterprise Data Management Expert℠
The Data Management Maturity (DMM)℠ model bridges the perspective gap between business and IT and helps organizations to evaluate and improve their data management practices. As an Enterprise Data Management Expert℠, you will be able to lead and assess data management practices.
Enterprise Data Management Experts are certified to:
- lead official DMM Assessments with internal and external client organizations
- lead or serve as an expert consultant for DMM-based projects and initiatives that will improve the processes and performance of an organization
- train DMM Assessment team members in the process and procedures for conducting an official DMM Assessment
The courses and resources necessary to pursue this certification will become available beginning in September 2014, starting with the DMM Introduction course.
Start your path now and be among the first EDMEs in the world when the full cycle completes for the first time in 2015.
For more information on the Data Management Maturity (DMM) model and related certifications, visit the DMM page here.
Becoming a Certified Enterprise Data Management Expert involves a number of steps along the path to certification. Click to expand each of the steps below to see the details.
If you have any questions about the Certification process, please email email@example.com.
You must have attended and successfully completed:
Submit a completed Application Package.
The criteria used to determine acceptance of the application is listed in the EDME Application Review step below.
The EDME Application Package must include the following:
- Your CV or resume outlining your relevant experience (see below)
- Confirmation of CMMI Partner Sponsorship:
- You must have a sponsoring organization that is a CMMI Institute Partner. Your sponsoring organization must have a fully executed CMMI Product Suite License agreement for the delivery of DMM Assessment services with the CMMI Institute. (Please refer to the Partner Network on how your organization can apply to Become a Partner.)
- Your sponsoring partner organization must submit to the CMMI Institute a completed Partner Candidate Sponsorship form for you.
- You must complete and sign the CMMI Institute Code of Professional Conduct.
- TOEFL score for non-native English speakers:
- As a Certified EDME, you will be required to communicate technical concepts in English. You must be able to read, write, and speak understandable English. You will not qualify as a lead appraiser if you cannot demonstrate this requirement. We strongly recommend that you provide your TOEFL score as demonstration of this prerequisite
Each application will be reviewed by the CMMI Institute. Candidates will be interviewed in-person, by Skype, or by phone). The application package must show and the interview confirm that candidates fulfill all the EDME selection criteria listed below.
EDME Basic Requirements:
- 10+ years data management experience (see Subject Matter Expert disciplines list)
- 3+ years managing data management programs or projects
- 2+ years experience in developing or implementing data management business processes
- 2+ years experience in developing business data requirements, or developing logical or physical data models
- 2+ years experience in enterprise data architecture, or as a business sponsor/owner/SME for one or more components of a target data architecture
- Demonstrated experience in compliance evaluation activities (examples: participating in or leading compliance reviews of data deliverables, such as data models, data quality audit plans, data standards, metadata, data architecture blueprints, data management processes, etc.)
- Demonstrated experience developing, implementing, or participating in a data governance program / group
- Demonstrated familiarity with systems development lifecycle principles and practices
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated presentation experience for both technical and non-technical audiences
- Demonstrated facilitation experience (examples: joint requirements development, peer reviews, architecture reviews, decision meetings involving multiple business areas)
- Bachelor’s Degree from accredited college, or commensurate experience (15+ years data management experience)
- Fluent in English
EDME Experience Requirements: Subject Matter Expert credentials - Demonstrated expertise through work experience in at least five of the following disciplines, preferably in large data layer environments or data warehouse environments:
- Data governance
- Data quality
- Enterprise data strategy
- Organization-wide data management processes
- Enterprise data architecture
- Data standards and compliance
- Data modeling / database design
- Master data management / Reference data
- Data integration – (including EDW / ODS / DM / database consolidation / Custom-COTS)
- Metadata management
- Data acquisition / enrichment
- Data management technologies – e.g. metadata repositories, data quality tools, data asset libraries, data governance management, extract/transform/load tools, etc.
- Data operations for enterprise data warehouse environments
After reviewing the CMMI Instructor Application Package and conducting the EDME Candidate Interview, CMMI Institute will contact the applicant to confirm their acceptance as a CMMI Candidate EDME. Upon being accepted, the CMMI Candidate EDME can register for the Enterprise Data Management Expert Training course.
Participate in one DMM Assessment as a team member, or observe a live DMM Assessment.
This step is optional, but highly recommended prior to the course.
Within 12 months of successfully completing the Enterprise Data Management Expert Training course, you must demonstrate the ability to successfully lead a DMM assessment according to the following guidelines:
- The candidate’s organization must:
- sponsor the DMM Assessment
- determine the location of the offering
- requests a CMMI Institute-authorized observer to conduct the observation using the Observation Request Form
- Only one candidate EDME can be observed per assessment.
- If an interpreter is required, the candidate’s organization is responsible for obtaining, and providing payment of, a CMMI Institute-approved interpreter
The observer will provide you with feedback at the conclusion of the observation and will provide the required information to the CMMI Institute for your candidate observation package.
If you pass your observation, the CMMI Institute will notify you of your status as a Enterprise Data Management Expert and will provide you with a certification diploma. For observations that are unsatisfactory, the CMMI Institute will provide feedback and, if necessary, steps for remediation. Any additional CMMI Institute support for remedial work may be billed in accordance with Partner Network pricing.
If the DMM Assessment Observation is more than 12 months from the end of the EDM Expert Class, candidates must successfully pass the EDME Refresher Examination before the observation.
If you pass the observation, your certification will be granted. You will receive a certification diploma and will be listed in the Partner Directory. You must complete the process to become an Certified Enterprise Data Management Expert before leading DMM assessment deliveries.
Certified Enterprise Data Management Expert can use the DMM assessment materials to lead assessments on behalf of a Partner. Certified Enterprise Data Management Experts cannot use the materials to conduct assessments independently or on behalf of organizations that are not licensed by the CMMI Institute to conduct assessments.
All Enterprise Data Management Expert certifications are valid for five years. Certification as a Enterprise Data Management Expert includes a commitment to ongoing professional development to maintain a high proficiency and skill in the practice. Please review the Enterprise Data Management Expert Renewal Requirements that lists the ongoing professional development activities that are required to maintain the certification.
The first cohort of Certified EDMEs is anticipated for 2015. CMMI Institute will continue to add resources to this page as they become available.