Certified Introduction to People CMM® Instructor
Organizations around the world work diligently to achieve excellence in human capital management based on the People CMM’s benchmark practices. The success of CMMI adoption relies heavily on the education of its users—as a People CMM Instructor, you will help individuals and organizations get started on the path to success.
Partner sponsored CMMI Institute-Certified Instructors are highly trained and experienced with the People CMM model and its methodologies. Each has demonstrated advanced competency in the People CMM model, experience with the courseware, and skill in educating adult learners in a classroom environment.
Certified People CMM Instructors are sponsored by CMMI Institute Partner organizations and are able to teach the official Introduction to People CMM course. Instructors may pursue certification to teach multiple CMMI Institute courses, but each certification has slightly different training requirements, so please refer to each certification page to ensure you are meeting all the requirements.
Becoming a Certified Introduction to People CMM Instructor involves a number of steps along the path to certification. Click to expand each of the steps below to see the details.
If you have any questions about the Certification process, please email email@example.com.
Submit a completed Application Package.
The criteria used to determine acceptance of the application is listed in the Instructor Application Review step below.
The Instructor Application Package must include the following:
- Your resume showing that you meet the teaching, technical, and model experience and skills requirements described below
- Confirmation of CMMI Partner Sponsorship:
- You must have a sponsoring organization that is a CMMI Institute Partner. Your sponsoring organization must have a fully executed CMMI Product Suite License agreement for the delivery SCAMPI appraisal services with the CMMI Institute (Please refer to the Partner Network on how your organization can apply to Become a Partner)
- Your sponsoring partner organization must submit to the CMMI Institute a completed Partner Candidate Sponsorship form for you
- You must complete and sign the CMMI Institute Code of Professional Conduct
- TOEFL score for non-native English speakers:
- As a Certified CMMI Instructor, you will be required to communicate technical concepts in English. You must be able to read, write, and speak understandable English. You will not qualify as an instructor if you cannot demonstrate this requirement. We strongly recommend that you provide your TOEFL score as demonstration of this prerequisite
Each application will be reviewed by the CMMI Institute CMMI Instructor Application Review committee.
Documentation must show that candidates fulfill all the instructor selection criteria in the categories below:
- Teaching Experience and Skills
- Technical Experience and Skills
- Model Experience and Skills
- Language Experience and Skills
After reviewing the CMMI Instructor Application Package, CMMI Institute will contact the applicant to confirm their acceptance as a CMMI Candidate Instructor.
Upon being accepted, the CMMI Candidate Instructor can register for a People CMM Instructor Training course.
CMMI Instructor Selection Criteria
Teaching Experience and Skills
The CMMI Institute uses these criteria to determine whether proposed candidates have sufficient presentation, facilitation, and teaching experience and skills. Candidates must have at least one year of experience teaching technical or management subject matter to adult learners training and/or experience in classroom presentation and management skills including: presenting procedural and conceptual information in a clear and concise manner facilitating group discussion and interaction using instructional media presentation (audio/visual) systems and aids (e.g., flipcharts)
Technical Experience and Skills
The CMMI Institute uses these criteria to determine whether proposed candidates have sufficient subject matter expertise to be credible as presenters of the course materials.
The candidate must have three years of experience interpreting or applying the People CMM model in a work environment, ten years of experience in management showing clear evidence of expertise in at least two critical areas and at least three technical areas selected from the lists below:
Critical areas (select at least two):
- human resources
- organizational development
- program/project management
- quality assurance
Technical areas (select at least three):
- customer requirements elicitation, analysis, and management
- system or software design component design (hardware and/or software components)
- component integration (hardware and /or software components)
- component or system level testing
- configuration management
- measurement of product or process
- government contracts or commercial contracting
OR three years of the above experience and expertise and a master’s degree related to systems or software
Model Experience and Skills
The CMMI Institute uses these criteria to determine whether candidates possess sufficient experience and skills related to People CMM, CMMI, and quality improvement methods.
Candidates must have three years of the above experience serving as at least one of the following: member of engineering process group (EPG), member of process improvement (PI) team, process improvement coach.
Candidates must have CMMI SCAMPI appraisal team member experience: team member of at least one CMMI SCAMPI Class A process appraisal team member or at least two CMMI SCAMPI B or C process appraisals
Language Experience and Skills
Fluency in English is required to become a People CMM Instructor.
Candidate Instructors are required to successfully complete the three-day People CMM Instructor Training course. The course prepares instructors to teach the Introduction to People CMM course.
The CMMI Institute conducts the People CMM Instructor Training for a minimum of four and a maximum of six candidates per offering. Due to these enrollment requirements, organizations that sponsor only one candidate may have to wait an unspecified period of time before the candidate can enroll in a course with the appropriate number of participants. Organizations may arrange an on-site offering of the course if they are able to meet enrollment requirements by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
Within 12 months of successfully completing the People CMM Instructor Training course, the candidate must demonstrate the ability to teach an Introduction to People CMM course according to the following guidelines.
- The candidate’s organization:
- sponsors the course offering
- determines the location of the course offering
- requests a CMMI Institute-authorized observer to conduct the observation using the Observation Request Form
- CMMI Institute-authorized observers can observe up to two candidates per offering provided that the observer is informed at least three weeks prior to the offering which modules each candidate will present. The delivery must be shared equally by candidates in both the amount of material presented and the difficulty in ML or PAs delivered
- If an interpreter is required, the candidate’s organization is responsible for obtaining, and providing payment of, a CMMI Institute-approved interpreter
The observer will provide you with feedback at the conclusion of the observation and will provide the required information to the CMMI Institute for your candidate observation package.
If you pass your observation, the CMMI Institute will notify you of your status as a Certified CMMI Instructor and will provide you with a certification diploma. For observations that are unsatisfactory, the CMMI Institute will provide feedback and, if necessary, steps for remediation. Any additional CMMI Institute support for remedial work may be billed in accordance with Partner Network pricing.
Upon passing the observation, your certification will be granted by the CMMI Institute. You will receive a certification diploma and will be listed in the Partner Directory.
Candidate instructors must complete the instructor certification process before participating in formal course offerings. Any exceptions to the instructor certification process will be granted at the CMMI Institute’s sole discretion.
Instructors can use the People CMM instructional materials as contained in the Partner Resource Library. CMMI Institute-Certified Instructors may only teach the course on behalf of a Partner for delivery of the Introduction to People CMM CMMI Institute-Certified People CMM Instructors cannot use the materials to deliver courses independently or on behalf of organizations that are not licensed by CMMI Institute to deliver People CMM courses.
Certification as a People CMM Instructor includes a commitment to ongoing professional development to maintain a high proficiency and skill in the practice.
All CMMI Instructor certifications are valid for three years. Please review the People CMM Instructor Renewal Requirements that lists the ongoing professional development activities that are required to maintain the certification. Additionally, a renewal tracking document is also located in your People CMM Instructor files located in the Partner Resource Center.
CMMI Institute Certifications have a number of steps with detailed requirements along the way. This list is intended to be a helpful place to find the forms and fees connected with each step of the your certification journey.
Please see the “Getting Certified” tab for all of the Certification details.
|Certification Step||Applicable Fees|
|Introduction to People CMM course||Fees vary by instructor|
|Intermediate Concepts of People CMM course||$6,000|
|Submit Candidate Application Package
Your resume and partner sponsorship items
|No application fee|
|CMMI Institute Partner Application
If your organization is not yet a partner
|Partner Candidate Sponsorship Form||n/a|
|Code of Professional Conduct for CMMI Institute Services Form||n/a|
|People CMM Instructor Training course||$10,750|
|Observation Request Form||$2,250 per day plus expenses|
|CMMI Partner Resource Center||n/a|