Join hundreds of global business leaders dedicated to performance and capability improvement from an array of backgrounds, countries, and experiences. You’ll experience a series of workshops, keynotes, and interactive sessions focused on delivering actionable insights on what it means to be a capable, mature organization. Get the best ROI on your education investment at this premier conference.
Why Attend Capability Counts 2018?
- Connect with global business leaders dedicated to achieving a competitive edge by streamlining their capabilities
- Take away ready-to-use resources and tools from industry experts to share with your organization
- Share best practices and business challenges with your peers during networking opportunities
Capability Counts 2017 Highlights
Capability Counts 2018 Conference Venue
Hyatt Regency Reston
1800 Presidents Street
Reston, VA 20190, US
A block of discounted rooms has been reserved for attendees at a rate of $219 per night, plus all applicable taxes. This rate is available through 9 April 2018 or until the room block is full.
*If you need additional assistance regarding your reservation, please call 888-421-1442
Hotel And Travel Information
The Reston hotel is just minutes from Washginton Dulles International Airport (IAD), and within an hour of Ronald Reagan National Airport (DCA) and Baltimore Washington International Airport (BWI).
Complimentary Shuttle Service To/From Dulles Airport
The Hyatt offers a complimentary shuttle that arrives at Dulles Airport at the top of each hour between 6am-10pm Monday through Friday and 7am-10pm on Saturday & Sunday. The pick-up and drop-off point will be at curbs 2A and 2H, adjacent to the lower level baggage claim level. Return shuttle transportation from the hotel departs on the :45 beginning at 5:45am Monday-Friday and 6:45am Saturday & Sunday.
2018 Program Coming Soon!
Download the Capability Counts 2017 Presentations
Keynote & Featured Presentations:
Tuesday, 16 May 2017:
- Keynote Address: In Space, Capability Still Counts! by Greg Williams, NASA (Presentation unavailable at this time. Awaiting permission for public release.)
Wednesday, 17 May 2017:
- Keynote Address: Kanban: The Alternative Path To Agility by David Anderson, Lean Kanban Inc.
- Featured Presentation: Stability, Agility, and the Capable Organization: Introducing the Guide to Scrum and CMMI by Jeff Dalton, Broadsword
Features the benefits of implementing CMMI within your organization and case studies from organizations who have delivered successful products and services.
- Cultural Transformation Success Story by Jaideep Devare, Mahindra Insurance Brokers Ltd.
- The Great Service Multiplier by Julie Calfin, Broadsword
- Using JIRA And Confluence To Scale Your Business by Michael King, Halfaker and Associates
- Key Success Or Failure Factors Adopting CMMI In LATAM by Pablo Henriques, Procesix
- Statewide Data Management: The State of Arizona by Melanie Mecca, CMMI Institute
- Applying Quality Fundamentals To Software Development To Reduce Costs And Prevent Defects by Rick Spiewak, The MTRE Corporation
- Leveraging COBIT And CMMI by Alex Stall, CMMI Institute and Peter Tessin, ISACA
- A High Maturity Improvement Strategy for Small and Medium Size Organizations by Mariano Montoni, ProMove and Jaqueline Ferreira, Radix
Features success stories of organizations leveraging their capability, outpacing the competition, and demonstrating best practices.
- Multi-Level PPMs - Multi level PPMs - Taking PPM Beyond Operational Decision Making by Amol Tope, Zensar Technologies Ltd.
- Positive Effects Of Quantitatively Managing Your Service Desk by Andreas Felschow, TPC, LLC
- Spin And Re-Spin A Web To Catch All Possible Bugs by Bin Cong, Cal State Univ. at Fullerton and CRS Technologies Inc.
- Predictive Reliability And Scalability For Managed Services by Drew Ellis and Brian Cole, Optimal Solitutions and Technologies, Inc.
- Implementing A Mature Data Management Program by Jeff Gorball, Kingland Systems Corporation
- Advancing Your Capability - Improving Client Satisfaction Scores Using Advanced Analytical Models by Jyoti Gupta and Neena Panda, Tata Consultancy Services
- High Maturity – What Got You Here Won’t Keep You Here by Kileen Harrison and Kevin Schaaff, Booz Allen Hamilton
- Finally! A Model For Evaluating Agile Performance by Darian Poinsetta, Agile CxO
- Integrated Approach To Process, Methods & Tools – An Agile Way by Sripathy Ramachandran, KPIT Technologies Ltd. and David Farr, Jaguar Land Rover
- The High Maturity Journey Of Next Generation Desktop Development by Steve Moulder, National Government Services
- Cut To The Chase - Business Delivery Excellence for Digital Age by Sudha Gopalakrishnan, Intellect Design Arena, Ltd.
- Agile Performance Management by Tim Zeller, Broadsword
- CMMI Helps Create Consistent Performance Management for Mission Critical Applications at CAE by Dani Renzi, CAE
- Improving Quality And Performance Beyond Maturity Level 5 by Kusum Dyhani and Thomas Brooks, Optimal Solutions Technologies, Inc.
- Driving Adoption By Following The (Journey) Map by Craig Hollenbach, Northrop Grumman Corporation
Features presentations from experienced professionals who will share their knowledge and help you and your organization plan and conduct high-value appraisals.
- 20 Days Out – NOW WHAT? Countdown To SCAMPI A by Cathy Henderson, Broadsword
- High Maturity Appraisals - The Top 10 Misconceptions by Keiran Doyle, Excellence In Measurement Technologies Ltd
- When The Appraiser Becomes The Appraised by David Quinn, MOSAIC Technologies Group, Inc.
- Ins and Outs of Appraisal Team Composition by Michael Callihan, AEGIS.net
- Value of CMMI Reappraisals by Tumu Satish Kumar, Concept QA Labs
- Appraisals And CMMI Gotchas -- Lessons From 28 Years Of CMMI Use And Appraisal Preparation by Neil Potter, The Process Group
- "Leaning" Appraisals by Michael Evanoo, HPE/USPS
- High Maturity Appraisals- Navigating A Course In Unchartered Waters by Ryan Bays & Tunde Oyalowo, Booz Allen Hamilton
- Time Saving Tips And Techniques to Prepare For A CMMI Appraisal by Pam Schoopert, Citizent
- From Ground Zero To SCAMPI A by Stephanie Lesesne, Palmetto GBA
- Improving Appraisal Evidence Collection And Review Efficiency by Paul Brynes, Integrated System Diagnostics
- First Time CMMI Appraisals: What to Expect by Alex Stall, CMMI Institute
- How To Apply Process Mining Techniques In Scampi Appraisals by Arthur Valle, Wintec - Waikato Institute of Technology
- Beyond SCAMPI – Assessing An Organization’s Real Capability by Michael West, Natural SPI
Features presentations on CMMI adoption and capability improvement experience in the healthcare sector.
- Improving Patient Safety Through Continuous Improvement by E. Doug Grindstaff II, CMMI Institute
- The Buy-In Effect: How Getting Alignment Can Get Your CMMI Adoption Un-Stuck by Laura Adkins, Broadsword and Mark Burgett, Truven Health
- CMMI SVC And Consumer Driven Healthcare by Becky Fitzgerald, Two Harbors Consulting
- Data Quality Practices Improve Patient Safety by Melanie Mecca, CMMI Institute
- Implementing CMMI In A Healthcare Quality And IT Setting by Thomas Bond, Livanta
- The Case For Quality: Moving From Compliance To Performance In The Regulatory World by Ronald Lear, CMMI Institute
Features presentations on CMMI adoption and capability improvement experience in the government sector.
- CMMI For Services Applied To South African Municipal Services Delivery by Hendrick Gaitsewe Lenepa, Demix Naledi
- How CMMI Best Practices Can Be Employed With Agile Techniques by Margaret Glover, EMT LLC
- Scaled Agility In Regulated Environments by Peter Pedross, PEDCO - Managed Process Services
- Establishing State Capability: Process Excellence Isn't Just For Vendors by Todd Schrubb, Western Slope Technologies and William Chumley, State of Colorado
- CMMI Methodologies And The Courts by Wendy Romeu, Alluvionic, Inc.
- CMMI Maturity Level 5 Strategies That Yield Improved Readiness While Reducing Cost by Brian Gallagher, CACI
- Public Sector Power Pack by Kiran Honavalli, Deloitte Consulting LLP
- Serving Federal Customers Using Agile, SAFe, And CMMI Principles by Michael King, Halfaker and Associates
Features presentations that enable CMMI adopters to integrate their CMMI adoption and implementation with other models, standards, bodies of knowledge, and methods.
- How To Avoid Fads And Start Improving Your Capability by Alejandro Ramirez, Ultrasist
- Staying SAFe With CMMI (COMING SOON) by Berry Schrimsher, Siemens PLM Software
- Harmonizing Agile And CMMI Verification And Validation by Daniel Riganati, Aetna
- Defining Operations Of Software Delivery Center by Dipankar Chakrabarti, Pricewaterhouse Coopers Pvt. Ltd.
- Discovering CMMI Capability While Using The Kanban Method by Joey Spooner and Karen Palmer, TriTech Enterprise Systems
- Considering Spiral Dynamics To Sustain High Maturity by Luke Lackrone and Tim Meyers, Booz Allen Hamilton
- Achieving Quality And Increasing Performance With CMMI And TSP by Oscar Mondragon, The University of Texas El Paso / SIE Center Mexico and Raul Flores, Tecnologia de Gestion y Comunicacion SA de CV
- Improving Customer Confidence Using An Interwoven Multi-Model Tapestry by Pam Schoopert and Alex Benten, Citizant
- Practical Prediction Models Using Machine Learning by Petr Bohacek, Honeywell spol. S r.o.
- CMMI Adoption With Multi-Model Integration by Sara Deaton and Kayla Steinfield, Cummings Aerospace Inc.
- Objective Visionary Of CMMI High Maturity Practices With Agile & DevOps Implementation by Wael Philops, ITS
- Enabling And Scaling CMMI-Based Excellence In A Lean Startup World by Prem Ranganath, QuintlesIMS
- Agile Services Through Scrum And Kanban by Alma P. Gutierrez, Qualtop Group
- Design Optimization & Performance Prediction by Prabhakar Sundaravathanan, Honeywell
- CMMI And Agile – Ontological Perspective by Raghavendra Mithare, ProcessWhirl
Features presentations on topics that would appeal to professionals who are pursuing careers within specific disciplines. Learn first-hand from experienced professionals in your field of work.
- CMMI For Improved Predictive Analysis And Decision Support System by Anoop Madhavan, Nest Technologies Corp.
- A DMM For Insider Threat Programs by Bernadette Gagnon, Bluemont Technology & Research, Inc.
- Applying CMMI-DEV ML3 To An Agile Factory: A Culture Shock Or A Great Combination? by Jean-Yves Guilbaud, Inspearit
- Holacracy: Abolish Hierarchy While Leveraging CMMI To Radically Change Your Organization by Jeff Dalton, Broadsword
- DMM Assessment And Business Benefits Generated by Michel Avila, Neoway and Antonio Braga, Crest Consulting
- CMMI For Services, The Preferred Constellation by Nestor Ovalle, N.K. Ovalle
- Agile CMMI Gamification by Pedro Castro Henriques, Strongstep
- Immediately Improving Project Performance Through PPQA by Richard Lea, DSS, Inc. and Neil Potter, The Process Group
- Preparing And Supporting The Measurement Analyst For All Levels Of CMMI Maturity by Jennifer Attanasi and Shannon Campbell, Booz Allen Hamilton
- Story Telling: Generating Big Picture Agile Requirements by Thomas Cagley, DCG Software Value
- Bringing Estimation Predictability In Managed Services Support Engagements by Dipanjan Ghosal, Tata Consulting Services
- Optimizing Solutions By Integrating CMMI And BD-CMM by Howard Nutt, Business Development Institute International and Kris Puthucode, Software Quality Center LLC
- Why Analytics Fails And How To Fix It by Jim Halcomb, CMMI Institute
- Agile Adoption And Transformation by Pedro Castro Henriques, Strongstep
- Using CMMI And DAD To Enable Agility And Discipline In The QMS by Prem Ranganath, QuintlesIMS
Capability Challenge 2018
The Capability Challenge competition showcases thought leaders from around the world who are improving their business performance by building organizational capability.
- Presented in a series of webinars, these leaders will share their unique stories on how building key capabilities at their organization has resulted in improved performance, quality, and/or profitability.
- Four of these competitors will then advance to the Capability Challenge Finals, to take place at the Capability Counts 2018 conference on 1-2 May in Reston, Virginia. The finalists will present their story to 350+ conference attendees and compete for the title of Capability Challenge Champion!
Click here to learn more about:
- How the Capability Challenge works
- The criteria the entries are judged on
- The voting process
- What the Capability Challenge Champion wins
Click here to view Submission Guidelines
2016 Capability Challenge winner Michael Callihan discusses the value CMMI Institute brings to AEGIS.net:
Capability Counts 2018 Sponsorship Package
Become a Sponsor or Exhibitor at
Organizations attending Capability Counts are looking for ready-to-use resources, tools, services, and programs to help build and improve the capabilities within their organizations.
As a Capability Counts sponsor, you will have the opportunity to position yourself as a market leader, meet with potential customers, network with industry thought leaders, and gain competitive advantage and brand exposure at this premier two-day event.
View Sponsorship Options Here
2018 Partner Workshop
Join us for this one-day event 30 April 2018!
All currently certified appraisers and instructors, and official Partner Business Points of Contact are invited to attend the Annual CMMI Institute Partner Workshop. The workshop will kick off with a Partner Reception on Sunday 29 April 2018 at 7pm followed by a one-day Partner Workshop Monday 30 April 2018.
Partner Incentive Program
Thank you to our Partners who participated in the 2018 referral incentive program. Capability Counts 2018 conference speaker decisions will be announced in December 2017. Parties listed on accepted speaker abstract(s) will be notified of their discount following the January speaker registration deadline. These discounts can be applied to previously completed Partner registrations.
What You Receive:
For every submission you refer that is accepted into the conference program from a first-time presenter, you will receive $250 off your event registration fee!
Your Client Receives:
- The opportunity to publish and present their organizaton's accomplishments as a selected speaker at Capability Counts 2018
Speakers receive full conference access at a discounted rate of $1,299, a $400 savings from the conference list price
Invite your clients to submit and instruct them to list your name under “Referring Partner.”
Abstracts are submitted under the primary presenter’s name and login. To be considered for the incentive, the partner's name must appear in the referral line, regardless of which presenter they are (main presenter or co-presenter).
Partners are encouraged to co-present with their client. However, The Institute seeks to share a variety of voices. While multiple abstracts from Partners may be submitted, we request that they co-present in only one accepted presentation.
Discounts to Partners' registration will be applied after the speaker registration deadline of 5 January 2018.
Discounts to Partners' registration will be applied to the base $1,299 Partner rate, are non-transferrable, and limited to a maximum value of $1,299.
To qualify, Partner referrals that are accepted as speakers must be CMMI practitioners (non-Partners) and first-time presenters at Capability Counts. They must also agree to the Speaker Terms and Conditions, including prompt registration and payment.
Questions? Email email@example.com